Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chinese Culture in Malacca

It has been for generations the Chinese opera show had been in every festival there is. Now the threat comes from the cheap shows of signers dressing way too expose for the purpose of temples and respect for the elders. Don't get me wrong about being "square" - I love to look at girls too but there should be time and place for every thing.


Lion Dance

Opera Performer

I was born a "Straits Chinese" or "Peranakan" - simple more popular term is the "Baba & Nonya" and my command in Chinese dialects is the worst of it kind. When I was shooting this opera story  about an innocent man being accused of wrong doing in the palace. As the story goes it got interesting and I actually got the story about 60% right.

End of the day, I found myself richer with knowledge of my own culture through this and with this message the temple committee every where should look into expanding or reinventing the opera to get the young generation to value our roots.


No comments:

Post a Comment